Whether you’re trying to build a home office for yourself, or you’re trying to boost productivity in your office, ergonomic desks are a great investment.
In this article, we’ll be discussing 7 of the best ergonomic desks on Amazon and other retailers.
I’ll also be sharing over 12 tips throughout this article for enhancing the ergonomics of your office.
- 1. VARIDESK Height Adjustable Standing Desk – #1 Editor’s Choice
- 2. Seville Classics AIRLIFT – Best Value
- 3. Flexpro Power 40 Inch – Electric-Powered Ergonomic Desk
- 4. Z1-S Eureka Ergonomic Standing Desk – Good for Gaming
- 5. Mount-It! – Mobile Standing Desk
- 6. FlexiSpot M2MG – Good Desk for Short Person
- 7. Executive Office Solutions Portable Desk – Affordable Ergonomic Executive Desk
Best Ergonomic Desk Models (Updated for 2020)
These desks are some of the best in the market when it comes to being ergonomic. If you ask me, corner desk ergonomics are slightly more complicated than regular desks, but they are some of the most beautiful computer desks for home and office.
1. VARIDESK Height Adjustable Standing Desk – Best Ergonomic Computer Desk
This standing desk converter by Varidesk is my top choice because of its simplicity. Despite that, it’s highly ergonomic. It’s designed for a truly ergonomic workstation experience.
It’s recommended that you stand for at least 30 minutes every hour.
This desk allows you to easily switch between sitting and standing positions while working without disrupting your work or compromising your posture.
Here are its features:
Spacious Design – this converter gives you a bit of extra space on your desk, especially when it’s lifted up. Even on its own, it’s good for multiple monitors, for laptop work, and for keyboard operators who need as much extra space as they can get.
Ergonomic Lift – this desk features a rowing lift mechanism you’ll love. Unlike other manual lift standing desk converters, the Varidesk optimizes the lift experience, so you don’t strain any muscles. It lifts easily into 11 height positions that will suit any individual.
Summary: The Varidesk standing desk is one of the best standing desk converters in the market. If you’re looking for a more affordable alternative for the Uplift V2 adjustable standing desk, this converter is your top option. However, it is not cheap. It is mid-range, so it’s still reasonably priced, but you’ll probably have to stick to a chair under 300 dollars if you don’t want to overspend.
2. Seville Classics AIRLIFT 36″ – Best Value Ergonomic Table
This heavy-duty desk converter is ideal if you want a reasonably-priced standing converter packed with features. It comes with a wide dual-monitor riser with a beveled edge that is good for all-in-one computers.
Here’s why it’s a good value:
Quiet Lifting – this standing desk converter features two airlift levers that instantly lift your desk to your desired height. It’s pneumatic adjustment moves as quickly as you want it to. It’s a manual lift converter, so you don’t have to worry about hearing motorized noise.
ANSI/BIFMA Compliant – this desk is compliant with BIFMA safety and ergonomic standards. You don’t have to worry about your electronics suddenly falling off of your desk because of it being unstable. It can also easily lift up to 30 pounds worth of equipment with ease and little to no strain.
Summary: Choose this desk if you’re not afraid of customer service concerns. It’s ideal if you work from home and don’t want to spend time and money on a new desk. That said, it does require some assembly. But it is quite easy to assemble. It also comes with a detachable keyboard shelf so you can decide if you need it or not.
3. Flexpro Power 40 Inch With two Monitors + Laptop – Electric-Powered Quiet Ergonomic Office Desk
This Flexpro Power desk converter is a motorized standing desk converter with a spacious and highly durable design.
The motorized lift allows you to sit and stand in seconds. This means you don’t have to worry about your legs falling asleep after sitting for a long time.
Take a look at its most notable features:
No Assembly Required – unlike many other motorized desk converters, the Flexpro does not need to be assembled. You can simply take it out of the box, install it, and you’ll have a fully-functioning desk converter on any tabletop surface.
Quiet and Safe Lifting – this desk is built with a noiseless motor that transitions with little to no annoying noise. It’s also built to withstand 45 pounds of hardware, so you don’t have to second guess its durability.
Summary: This standing converter by Flexpro is one of the most durable and spacious motorized desk converters I’ve come across. Its electric lift mechanism makes it easy to extend your desk’s height according to your needs without exerting physical effort. However, the durability does come at a price—it’s quite heavy. And the keyboard tray tends to bounce when you extend it.
4. Z1-S Eureka Ergonomic Standing Desk – Best Ergonomic Workstation For Gaming
This gaming desk by Z1-S is designed for hardcore gamers. Its spacious worktop can support a 40-inch monitor and all of your computer gaming gear.
It’s also packed with features that are ideal for anyone who is serious about gaming.
Take a look at its features:
Ultimate Gaming Convenience – this ergonomic standing desk features a host of convenient attachments that improve your gameplay experience. It’s fitted with a cup holder, a hook for your headphone, a stand for your controller, storage for your games, and a conveniently large mouse pad that can fit your keyboard and mouse comfortably.
Stability and Durability – this desk features a Z-desk design that is engineered for stability and holding up to frequent rough housing. The Z-shape design also gives you more legroom compared to traditionally shaped desks. Additionally, the legs are fitted with stabilizers that ensure you don’t encounter any problems with wobbling.
Easy to Assemble – this desk requires assembly. However, there are easy to follow instructions that will guide you through every step of the way. One thing I can tell you is that you should leave all screws somehow slightly loose until you finish putting this desk together to ensure its stability and durability.
Summary: This gaming desk is a beautiful addition to any gaming room. The ambient LED lighting is designed to immerse you in your gameplay and its sturdy Z frame construction ensures all your gear is well-protected. Having said that, the LED lights do look a bit flimsy and cheap and customer service is quite hard to reach.
5. Mount-It! – Best Mobile Standing Desk
This mobile standing desk by Mount-It! It comes with rolling wheels for easy mobility.
It’s ideal if you’re highly dynamic and don’t want to disrupt your workflow. It’s also highly versatile. You can use it for a variety of tasks, not just work.
Take a look at its qualities:
Adjustable Height – the manual height adjustment is easy to understand. This sit to stand desk is optimized to support proper standing posture while working or proper posture while sitting for extended periods.
Dual Desk Surfaces – this sit to stand desk comes with two platforms that ideally separate your monitor from your keyboard. This not only gives you more space, but this also ensures that your things are at an ergonomically designed level to support proper posture.
Space-Efficient – if you don’t have plenty of room, or are looking for a smaller unit, this standing desk is ideal for you. Its design easily makes it one of the most space-efficient standing desks in the market.
Summary: The most attractive aspects of this desk are its smooth-rolling caster wheels and space-efficient design. There are plenty of platforms to store necessities and computer equipment without taking up floor space, which is ideal for smaller or more minimalist rooms.
6. FlexiSpot M2MG – Best Desk for Short Person
If you’re shorter than average, you’re probably having trouble finding a desk that ergonomically works for you.
Sure, you could invest in a chair with an adjustable height, so the desk height is ideal for you, but that would leave your legs and feet at risk of dangling or not properly touching the ground.
This Flexispot desk converter solves that problem for you. Not only is it ideal for short users, but it’s ideal for users of any height.
Space-efficient – unlike other lift mechanisms, this converter features a straightforward vertical motion when extending or collapsing. You do not need to make additional space accommodations to fit this movement. That means you can easily put it up against a wall.
Smooth and Safe Adjustments – this desk converter features a stabilized single handle that allows you to easily adjust its height. You won’t have to worry about exerting too much effort or having to use both hands.
Extra Deep Top Design – the groove-free workspace allows you to place multiple electronics on your desk. It’s best suited for laptops, desktop computers, paperwork, and many other office necessities.
Summary: This converter is ideal for users of varying heights. If you’re looking for a convenient converter that’s easy to operate, space-efficient and spacious, then the Flexispot M2MG is ideal for you. However, it is often packaged poorly so you might encounter some cosmetic issues when it arrives.
7. Executive Office Solutions Portable Desk – Best Affordable Ergonomic Executive Desk
This desk is best for highly professional settings. It features a no-nonsense design that is suited for laptops and fits comfortably on any desk. The sleek and contemporary look of it adds to its executive appeal.
If you’re looking for a desk extender that will not feel out of place in an executive setting, this desk will fit you quite well.
Lightweight and Easy to Carry – if you find yourself often giving reports or are having trouble finding a suitable desk to place your laptop in when you’re outside of your office, you’ll enjoy this unit. It’s lightweight, which makes it easy to carry around anywhere you want to.
360-Degree Adjustable Legs – this desk’s legs are designed to lock into various angles to fully meet your needs. It’s easy to adjust, and you’ll find it quite helpful on various tabletop heights.
Ergonomic Extended Lip – this converter features an ergonomic extended lip that catches your gadget effectively. This is ideal for protecting against slipping and if your laptop is thicker than others.
Summary: This converter is ideal if you’re looking for a unit that can specifically accommodate your laptop. Despite its limits, it’s still ideal for a variety of other tasks like writing or holding your tablet. Unfortunately, if you’re looking for a widely spacious unit, this isn’t it.
Models not included in this review:
- Tangkula Standing Desk with a lever-controlled gas spring-loaded mechanism with
- HeroDesk Wide Surface Ergonomic Stand Up Workstation with Anti-Fatigue mat
- JOYBASE Ergonomic Tabletop Workstation (Two-Tier Shelf Design)
What is an Ergonomic Desk?
Ergonomic desks are designed to maintain good posture. The Bureau of Labor Statistics documented that 34% of workplace injuries in 2012 were caused by a non-ergonomic working environment.
For office environments, an ergonomic desk and chair are usually required. This not only boosts productivity but it also effectively boosts morale in the workplace.
- Workplace depression is caused by a variety of factors. One of which is poor working conditions. You can’t expect to be able to work properly for eight hours a day in a stool that doesn’t support your back or a desk that’s too high or too low for comfort.
Generally, there are a few things you should look for to determine whether a desk is ergonomic or not.
Workstation design for prolonged use includes:
- Proper height. Height is not standardized for any human. So why should we expect a desk to be any different? While it is difficult to find a desk that is exactly right for every height imaginable, there are certainly options that accommodate a wider range of user heights.
- Proper fit. Your legs should lay comfortably flat underneath your desk. The tops of your knees or thighs shouldn’t bump against the desk for any reason other than you lifted your leg up an unreasonable amount.
- Your forearm and upper arm need to lay at an angle between 90 and 110 degrees. This will reduce the strain on your arms and—unsurprisingly, your back as well.
What is the Best Ergonomic Desk Height
The thing about ergonomic desks is that there is no single way to determine if a desk is ergonomic. Unless it features an adjustable height.
The ideal desk height will ultimately depend on your height and the chair you use.
How Can I Make My Office More Ergonomic?
Generally, all you need to do is make sure your office is comfortable for everyone in it.
Here’s how you can set the right ambiance for the ultimate ergonomic workstation:
- Provide proper lighting – natural lighting is your friend. If you have large or many windows in your office, make sure you let them shine. Natural light is infinitely better compared to artificial light. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t install lighting fixtures in your office. The perfect ergonomic workstation is perfectly lit.
- Make sure you invest in light bulbs that have a temperature of at least 5600K. This mimics natural daylight and will boost productivity in your office tenfold.
- Anything is better with a view – this doesn’t mean you need to relocate to a remote island. Add some greenery to your office. Small potted plants like succulents will do wonders. If you’re not a fan of plants in your office, make sure that there is at least a view of plants.
- Comfort is key – obviously, you’ll be working with various individuals. This doesn’t automatically mean you need to buy different desks to suit their different heights. A desk with adjustable height will suit you best. However, if you only work with a small team, a desk that has sufficient legroom will suffice when paired with the right chairs.
- Proper chair height should be observed. Even if you purchase a desk chair for neck pain, it won’t be effective if it’s too high or too low for your desk.
- If you want to maximize the ergonomic style of your office, invest in a standing desk. Standing desks allow your office to be more dynamic and are known to effectively boost office morale.
- Invest in ergonomic furniture – ergonomic desks are one thing, an ergonomic chair is another. Make sure you and your team are comfortable working extended hours in your working chair.
Remember these principles when you’re trying to set up your office. If you’re not entirely sure whether your office is ergonomically set up, print out an assessment form or an evaluation form for your colleagues to help you identify the best ergonomic desk setup.
These guidelines should serve as somewhat of a workplace ergonomics checklist. Ultimately it’s important to make sure your desk allows you to stay at an optimal position.
If you’re more dynamic, it’s better to invest in a tabletop sit stand workstation.
Does Ergonomics Improve Productivity?
Yes. An ergonomic working environment increases focus and motivates you to work more efficiently.
This is especially true if you suffer from body pain. Any sort of negative distraction from your work will discourage you from working more efficiently.
Conclusion. Which Model is the Good For Home Office?
Ultimately, I can confidently say that the Varidesk Pro Plus Standing Desk Converter is the top choice. This is especially true if you already have desks installed in your office and you simply don’t want to buy new ones.
This adjustable standing desk converter will effectively turn any workspace into one of the most ergonomic spaces.
So here’s why I chose the Varidesk:
- It is spacious. It can fit up to two monitors, a laptop, a full-sized keyboard, a mouse, and still have room for a calculator and a notebook.
- It is easy to adjust. The rowing lift mechanism makes it fun to lift up without straining your body.
- Stability. The Varidesk is known to be one of the most stable desk converters in the market. This means you don’t have to worry about your desk wobbling about.
That said, you should keep in mind a few things when looking for the right desk for your workstation.
My preferences will not work for everyone, and it’s good to practice proper judgment:
- A desk on wheels is best for highly dynamic workplaces. If you tend to move your furniture around, make sure it’s easy to push around.
- Your desk should have a mat for standing ao you don’t accidentally slip. On that note, invest in a desk that has a footrest under it to keep you relaxed and increase productivity.