Society’s technological advancements have made it, so not only manual labor workers and the elderly suffer from back pain.
Nowadays, you’ll see children as young as three suffering from back pain. This can be caused by a number of different factors.
Whether you’re suffering from back pain because of bad posture, a recent surgery, an injury, or otherwise, it’s natural to look for ways to find relief.
It’s hard to find furniture for back pain sufferers that allows them to alleviate or fend off impending severe back pain.
That’s why I’ve compiled the top 10 best living room chairs for your home (except for gaming chair models). So whether you’re watching tv, or looking for a recliner after back surgery, you’ll find it here.
- 1. Signature Design by Ashley Yandel – Best #1 Choice for Back Pain Sufferers
- 2. Herman Miller Aeron
- 3. Homall
- 4. Esright
- 5. Domesis Renu
- 6. CANMOV
- 7. Dutailier Sleigh 0372 Glider Multiposition
- 8. Naomi
- 9. Flash Furniture High Back Office Chair
- 10. FDW
Best Living Room Chair For Back Pain (List for 2020)
It’s no easy feat to make up your mind when you’re looking for an ergonomic chair for lounge rooms or living rooms.
After all, you’re likely to be spending extended periods in your chair, and it’s simply not good judgment to choose the #1 you come across.
I’ve listed top 10 best effective living room recliner chairs for back pain. The Signature Design by Ashley Yandel is my top pick.
However, I’ve also listed nine other great chairs that help with back pain that can cater to different needs. Keep reading to find the perfect chair for you.
1. Signature Design by Ashley Yandel – Best Recliner for Back Pain
This power lift recliner boasts a contemporary style with good and great features. I’m not a fan of leather, so suffice to say, that is the biggest problem I have with this leather recliner chair.
Despite that, my worries are put at ease with the performance and supportive elements.
Take a look at its best features:
Power Lift and Recline – Yandel is the pinnacle of convenience. Its user-friendly controls allow you to activate the lift mechanism with the touch of a button. This feature is ideal for those with limited mobility or if you don’t feel like exerting much effort to sit down. Another button then allows you to slowly ease into a reclining position, which is ideal for your back.
Easy to Assemble – it requires some assembly, but it’s very easy to do so. It comes with a well-illustrated instruction manual, necessary tools, and labeled hardware that make it easy to follow. It also easily fits into doorways with a minimum width of 30 inches.
Summary: If you’re a fan of contemporary style and great functions, the Ashley Yandel is the right choice. You’ll love its easy to operate power lift and recline feature that makes sitting and getting out of this recliner chair a breeze. It’s also quite sturdy and can handle up to 300 lbs so you’re virtually guaranteed that it will last you a lifetime.
2. Herman Miller Aeron – Best Living Room Chair for Back Pain
If you’re not particularly keen on traditional recliners, or perhaps you’re just looking for a best office chair you can use in your living room or your office or in front of your computer; the Herman Miller Aeron is the ideal choice for you.
Take a look at the features that caught my eye:
Sacral Support – this best chair comes with adjustable SL region PostureFit support. This is achieved through two individual pads that move independently to support your back. This system adjusts to meet the curvature of your spine and effectively stabilizes your sacrum.
Adjustable Seats – this versatile best office chair can comfortably recline in three positions. More than that, it also allows you to adjust the position of the seat for a working position or an engaged position that allows you to comfortably converse with those around you.
Adjustable Arms – The armrests on this best chair allow you to adjust it according to your height. This means you don’t have to worry about your armrests being too low or too high.
Summary: This ergonomic chair is great if you like a chair that allows you to stay mobile and can be used for multiple uses. It’s made of breathable fabric and features plenty of adjustments that allow you to custom-tailor your chair to meet your specific needs. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive and is not built for taller users very well.
3. Homall – Best Budget Model
This Homall is the best affordable ergonomic sofa on my list. You’ll enjoy its multifunction capabilities as well as the sleek and compact design on this sofa unit.
Here are the features that put it at the top of my budget recliners list:
Massage Capabilities – this Homall boasts a soothing massage feature. Target your lumbar area with the timed vibration massage setting to effectively increase blood flow and facilitate muscle recovery. If you’re looking for an excellent model that can ease your back pain immediately, this budget-friendly Homall chair is the right choice.
Extra Comfort – choose between four recline positions that can accommodate a variety of activities. You’ll also enjoy the significant backrest and wide, curved armrests that maximize your comfort. Additionally, the upgraded footrest has more padding and is supported by a metal frame that can carry the heaviest loads.
Summary: Homall is well-known for manufacturing high-quality furniture. This budget-friendly model is no different. You’ll enjoy the vibration massage feature that provides instant soothing relief from back pain and multiple recline positions that allow you to use it for a variety of activities.
4. Esright Massage Chair – Best Value – Good For Bad Back
If you’re looking for a reasonably priced recliner that is packed with a ton of great chair features, then the Esright is perfect for you.
This massage chair is the most worth-your-money recliner in my list of best because it comes with a host of higher-end features at a reasonable price.
Here’s what makes it high value:
Vibration Massage – features eight vibration massage nodes that target your neck, mid-back, lower back, and legs. You also have two vibration intensities to choose from so you can decide if you want a more intense or soothing vibration massage.
Lumbar Heat Therapy – coupled with the vibration massage, this model will effectively improve your blood flow in one sitting. The heat therapy relieves pain as well as facilitates blood flow so your muscles and back can recover faster.
User-Friendly Controls – It comes with a user-friendly remote control that is clearly labeled and easy to understand. You’ll find a helpful illustration on it that details which sections of your full body the Esright is working on at a time. This also helps with easily identifying which commands you want to execute.
Summary: This Esright comes with a lot of great and useful features that maximize your wellness. It’s very convenient as well thanks to the dual cup holders and side pockets. However, the quality control is not very reliable. You might encounter a faulty unit more often than not so be prepared to contact customer service.
5. Domesis Renu – Best Living Room Chair for Lower Back Pain
This Domesis Renu gives you a better option in choosing a chair for your lower back pain. It helps you sit in an upright position comfortably and with ease.
The leather upholstery is not the most comfortable choice for me, but if you are a fan of a more rugged style, this chair is a good contender.
Take a look at its best features:
2-Button Powered Control – To help you get in and out of the chair easily, the two-button controller is at your service. Just simply hold the up and down button to help you get in and out of the chair comfortably.
Can Be Assembled In Minutes – This model is simple to assemble regardless of its structure—laminated hardwood, steel frame, and components. It can be assembled in no more than 10-minutes. So you can easily disassemble and transfer this chair anywhere you want inside your home, office, or porch. It is also designed to hold up to 300lbs.
Renu Leather – If you are a fan of leather upholstered recliner chairs, then this is the perfect chair for you. It is cushioned with a comfortable, durable, and breathable leather fabric that looks and feels like premium material. The material of this chair gives you natural heat without making you sweat. However, you should remember that leather material will never be as comfortable as linen or microfiber fabric.
Ergonomic Support – The cushion on this model is extraordinary because it gives you the right amount of cushion to make you feel comfortable. It’s fully padded and plush, which gives you the right amount of comfort for your neck, back, shoulders, hips, thighs, and legs.
Summary – Considering the leather upholstery and stylish design. This Domesis Renu is the best chair for your lower back pain. It eases the pain while gently setting you into an ideal reclined position for resting.
6. CANMOV – Top Rated Power-Lift Model for Living Room
The design on this power lift recliner chair is extraordinary, it gives you a beautiful view of your home.
The anti-skid fabric gives you warm comfort while maintaining your safety. It looks and feels like suede leather. The fabric itself is cozy and comfortable.
This model is designed for users with limited mobility because it is heavy-duty and supports the neck and back of anyone sitting in this chair.
The max weight capacity of this chair is about 300lbs, so you don’t have to worry about your weight and size.
Take a look at its best features:
Easy Assembly – You can assemble this chair in no more than 10 minutes only. Hassle and sweat-free, it can be moved easily around the house. Considering the structure, this can be disassembled in no time and re-assembled in a short period of time.
Sturdy and Functional – It is very sturdy and functional. Modern design style and functionality are merged together with a single motor and heavy-duty mechanism to help you stand, lay back, and sit smoothly with just one press of a button. It provides ultimate lounging experience and can be adjusted to any position you deem fit.
Anti Skid Upholstery – Upholstered with a durable, comfortable and breathable anti skid fabric. The fully padded high density foam gives you the right amount of cushion in the back seat and provides your back, armrest and seat a very comfortable support.
Summary – The company that made this recliner put so much effort on their design and functions. It is recommended for those with limited mobility and looks good in your home. The quality, durability and design on this chair gives your home a stylish design with premium functionality.
7. Dutailier Sleigh 0372 Glider Multiposition – Top Model with Ottoman
Who says recliners need to look bulky and ugly? This Dutailier Sleigh is a great statement piece to add to any room.
Its sleigh-inspired aesthetic makes it pleasing to the eye and allows it to consume less floor space compared to traditional styles.
More than that, the gliding feature makes it perfect for use in your nursery as it effectively soothes any user.
The smooth glide system also features a multi-position lock, which allows you to choose any position that suits you best.
Here are the features that caught my eye:
Pre-Assembled – It comes semi pre-assembled. You will only need to connect four screws and add in the cushions to start enjoying your glider recliner.
Gliding Ottoman – you’ll enjoy the gliding ottoman that glides in tandem with your recliner. Coupled with the reclining feature, there’s nothing to worry about and little adjustments needed to maximize your chair’s comfort.
Summary: Dutailier Sleigh comes highly recommended by mothers all over the globe. Its smooth gliding mechanism coupled with the gliding ottoman makes sure you’re at complete ease the entire time you’re using it. If it’s good enough for babies, it’s good enough for you.
8. Naomi Home Odelia Swivel Rocker Recliner – Footrest & Full Range of Motion
The Naomi is ideal for users who are always on the move. (So it’s definitely ideal for your mom) Aside from that, you’ll love the elegant look of this recliner coupled with the swivel feature that makes you feel like a boss.
Here are its best features:
Maximum Comfort – the plush cushions work well with the padded arm and footrests. You’ll love the soft comfort yet firm support of the high-quality padding as well as the plush upholstery. It not only feels comfortable, but it looks beautiful as well with the button tufting and welt trimmed design that ensures your upholstery lasts a long time.
Full Motion – Naomi Home Odelia makes it easy to transition between tasks. You’ll love the 360-degree swivel and smooth gliding mechanism that allows you to easily recline your chair.
Summary: The Naomi is a good chair that offers a full range of movement. This is ideal if you tend to switch from different activities, have little floor space, or would like something that’s more dynamic to fit your lifestyle. Unfortunately, users have reported that it isn’t as durable as advertised. That said, plenty of other reviewers say otherwise. So it’s wise to proceed with caution and better to purchase this model from a physical store instead.
9. Flash Furniture High Back Office Chair with Lumbar Support – Best For Back and Neck Pain
This high back office chair is ideal if you need a versatile piece of furniture that can keep your back and neck pain in check.
Its ventilated mesh construction makes it ultra-comfortable and breathable as well.
Take a look at its best features:
Padded Flip-Up Arms – the armrests on this chair are padded and flip-up whenever you need them. They’re ideal if you don’t always need armrests. They’re not adjustable. However, I found that the soft padding and the positioning of the flip-up arms are just right to give you a lazy comfort without sacrificing your productivity.
Waterfall Seat Design – don’t you just hate it when chairs have those ends that cut off sharply? They tend to be quite uncomfortable after a while. That’s why the waterfall seat edge caught my eye. It’s very comfortable and makes it so you can sit in your chair for longer periods with little to no discomfort.
Fitted Lumbar – unlike other office chairs, this chair maximizes lumbar support with its fitted design. This effectively minimizes strain on your back while the high-back design ensures your head can rest, and your neck is properly supported when you do so.
Summary: This high back office chair is perfect for any living space if you want versatility. You’ll enjoy the fitted living room chairs with breathable mesh upholstery that allows you to sit comfortably for extended periods no matter the climate. It’s also very sleek looking compared to clunky counterparts and is incredibly lightweight as well. However, for warranty claims, you will need a fax machine to contact the manufacturer.
10. FDW – Top Model For Short Person
Don’t you hate it when you’re sitting in a chair, and the seat height is too tall, so your feet are dangling uncomfortably? What about chairs that just feel too spacious and consume too much floor space?
This FDW is ideal if you’re looking for a more compact unit to add to any room.
Quick Assembly and Easy Installation – it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to assemble this model. Even so, it comes with easy to follow instructions and clearly labeled parts, so there’s no confusion at all while you’re putting it together. You also don’t need tools to put it together and install it anywhere you want. It comes semi-assembled, so all you need to do is attach the back and secure four screws then push it into position.
Low Maintenance Upholstery – you’ll enjoy the low maintenance upholstery. It’s very easy to clean and durable. It’s also sunlight resistant so the PU leather won’t wither or develop any unwanted imperfections even if it’s constantly hit by sunlight. That said, the upholstery makes it perfect for spot cleaning.
Summary: If you’re looking for a recliner that is a little more stout, yes still quite spacious, consider this unit. The low maintenance PU leather is very attractive and looks elegant in any setting. It requires minimal assembly. However, it is very easy with most of the chair already assembled. That said, some users did have trouble with assembly. I can only imagine that this must be because of the quality control team not doing their job. I’d suggest ordering it through Amazon Prime to get a hassle-free refund process just in case.
Some models that I should mention:
- Oslo Mac Motion (Good model with top grain leather)
Are Ergonomic Lounge Chair Good for Lower Back Pain?
Yes. Researchers have found that sitting back puts less strain on your back. So if you’re often sitting upright for extended periods, you’re more likely to suffer from chronic lumbar pain.
That said, it’s not always possible to sit in a reclined position, especially when you’re working in front of a computer.
Here are my key takeaways:
- It will help you release tension from your back after straining it.
- Experts suggest a 135-degree reclined position every once in a while to help your back recuperate after sitting at a 90-degree angle for extended periods.
- A zero-gravity feature will help your back greatly. This helps by putting you in a virtually weightless position. In turn, this allows your body to relax without developing more strain.
Summary: This model is highly recommended by experts to help alleviate the effects of a strained back. If you often suffer from back pain or sciatica, resting in a 135-degree angle or in a zero-gravity position will allow your body to relax and release built-up stress.
What Should You Consider Before Buy Ergonomic Living Room Chair for Back Pain?
As a general rule, you should look for three things when buying any furniture. Comfort, Perfect Pitch Adjustment, and Pain Relief for lower back and hip pain.
Let’s take a closer look:
- Comfort – I always say that a chair should prioritize three things to be truly comfortable. You need to consider its size, upholstery, support, and ease of use. To sum it up, your chair should fit you comfortably; the upholstery should be comfy enough for extended use, and it should be easy enough to use.
- Size – you need to make sure that your chair fits you comfortably. You should not have trouble leaning back. It’s important to consider how your neck is positioned against the backrest of your chair. It’s necessary to make sure that your head does not go over the headrest as well. That said, your feet should not dangle from the footrests. They need to be comfortable enough that you don’t feel your legs suffering from unnecessarily supporting your feet as they dangle from the footrests.
- Support – Look for lumbar support living room chair options. Prioritize chairs that support your lumbar region completely. It should prop your head up comfortably without the need for an extra pillow. Additionally, you should look for a recliner that is plush enough to be comfy yet not too soft that it doesn’t provide any type of support for your body.
- Ease of Use – I’ve encountered too many recliners in my time that require superhuman strength to activate the reclining mechanism. I like to think that I’m relatively strong. However, I should not need to exert too much effort to recline my chair. That said, if your chair is too difficult to recline, you’re significantly increasing your chances of tipping it over. This not only poses a safety hazard, but it could also potentially damage your back further.
- Perfect Pitch Adjustment – this simply means your chair should be able to accommodate your needs. This ultimately connects with the comfort aspect of your chair. Make sure that it can accommodate your height, body type, and is sturdy enough to support any weight. Some chairs also feature a power lift feature, which allows you to access it more easily. It’s great for those who experience sciatic pain, a ruptured spinal disc, or anyone with limited mobility.
- Pain Relief – it’s vital that you choose a chair that will support your back as well as alleviate any pain that you’re currently feeling. A zero-gravity feature will do this for you very well. I’ve found that lounging in certain weightless positions relieves back pain immediately. Furthermore, it also makes it so that your back feels renewed.
Summary: It’s important to maximize your comfort when you’re looking for any piece of furniture. Your chair should fit you well, offer adjustments that accommodate your specific needs like a power lift feature and offer short-term and long-term pain relief for your back pain.
Final Words. So, What is the Best Living Room Chair for a Bad Back?
I’ve come across many best chairs in my search for the #1. And I have to say, none of them have come as close value-wise as the Ashley Yandel.
There are certainly better units elsewhere, especially if you’re looking at a higher price-point. However, Yandel is the most money-worthy option in my eyes.
- It is ideal for limited mobility. If you or another user suffers from limited mobility, the power lift and recline feature of this recliner are ideal for you. It’s easy to operate as well and gently eases you into the right position with its careful motions.
- Very comfortable. These features plush cushioning that provides just the right amount of firm support without compromising your comfort.
That said, I understand my top choice might not work for you. That’s why it’s important you look into many factors before deciding that a chair is right for you and your back.
- Make sure it’s comfortable for you. Consider the size of the chair and whether or not you’d fit into it comfortably. You shouldn’t feel the need to contort your body just to fit into your chair at any time.
- Lumbar support is key. Invest in a chair. Otherwise, just purchase a regular sofa. Back support features are what make a chair good for your back, so keep that in mind.